Me and my babies

Me and my babies
Mothers Day 2013

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Grandma Board's Chicken Rotel

Recently, my Paw (Grandpa Board) was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction.  He had surgery Friday morning and so far is in the ICU recovering.  His wife, my Grandma Board, is the author of many recipes my grandmother and mother passed down to me when I got married.  Very few people are lucky enough in life to have their great grandparents around when they are born, much less to grow up with them.  At 26 years old, I still have both my great grandparents and my children are blessed enough to know their great-great grandparents "Gigi and Paw".
My Grandma Board now has Alzheimer's and as I mentioned earlier, Paw is in the hospital.  These circumstances made me think about the many memories I have and the times spent with them.  Every Christmas Eve piled into their tiny house on Madison street.  Summer afternoon's swinging on their front porch.  Grandma making us cackle with laughter at her impression of a woman named "Annie" from back home.  The smell of Grandma's Coconut Cream Pie.  Childhood memories that are more precious to me than any material item I could ever own.  I may have grown up, have 3 little ones of my own, but anytime I make Chicken Rotel ( a staple of my Grandma's) I can't help but think of her and smile.  She doesn't remember people or places as much as she used to.  Alzheimer's is a wicked disease that doesn't play fair.  But she'll always be, in my mind, the sweet, gentle, loving, funny, cooky, God-fearing, prayer warrior grandmother that gave me and my brother and sister so many irreplaceable childhood memories.

Grandma Board's Chicken Rotel
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ; cooked and shredded
1 chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 bag Nacho Cheese Dorito's; crushed
1- 8 oz cream cheese
2 cans Rotel

Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.  Place shredded chicken in bottom of dish.  Add the chopped onion on top of chicken.  Add the crushed Dorito's on top of the onion so you're making layers.  In a medium sauce pan over low heat, add the soups, cream cheese, and Rotel.  Stir constantly until melted and heated through but not boiling.  Pour over the layered casserole.  Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment